2023-08-01

GMjasoN! goes to GenCon

In a very rare moment, I make a non-session report blogpost to celebrate my eminent departure for Indianapolis, Indiana. For the first time in my life, I will be attending GenCon! I have wanted to go to this event since I was about 10 years old and learned about it from an ad in Dragon Magazine. Every year, my cousin and I talked about it and dreamed of going when we were older. Then we got older and it just seemed that so many excuses and reasons appeared to NOT go. I drifted out of gaming for many years, being busy with life, music, work, and building a family. Finally, I got back into gaming and the GenCon dream was reignited. Still, year after year, excused and reasons for not going popped up. Eventually, I said no more excuses and bought myself a ticket, booked a place to stay, and got really excited.... then Covid happened. GenCon was cancelled and when it came back, I wasn't ready to attend for a couple more years. But THIS YEAR, I AM GOING! I have a packed schedule, staying with a good group of guys (boardgamers, not RPGers, sadly) I have 1 GURPS game on my schedule, get to do a couple of games with some of my never before met in real life online gamer friends, and participating in a Cthulhu LARP game. I am so excited! I hope you're going to GenCon, too, maybe I'll see ya there!



2 comments:

  1. What an awesome GenCon that was! I'm an RPGer by the way. Currently DMing a 5e campaign using the book Keys from the Golden Vault. It's very cool. Think Ocean's 11 in the Forgotten Realms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bryan! I have heard that Keys was a pretty cool campaign! 5e isn't my game of choice, but I definitely play. Currently participating in a every 3rd Wednesday evening campaign via Roll20 (though most of the players are local-ish, 2 are from out of state) as a Tortle Paladin (think we're 8th level maybe) but then I generally GM. Currently running two Roll20 GURPS campaigns, 3 play by post GURPS campaigns (all three set in same Greyhawk setting) and one play by post B/X campaign. Oh, and I play in one online Pulp Cthulhu game... I THINK that's it... though we are getting ready to start up an in-person GURPS campaign (we've been sticking to online since pandemic but now finally ready to re-convene in-person!)
      and yes, GENCON was everything I hoped it would be! I sure hope I wasn't to annoying of a roommate for you!

      Delete