2023-07-05

Mysterious Tides #1.53

Callast Nilas and Captain Jens hang out, have a drink, and talk to some locals. On-going GURPS adventures set in the beautiful and evocative Bay of Spirits setting by Randy M. at Roan Studios.

GURPS: Mysterious Tides
Session 001.53

Back for Another Round

June 12-25, 2003

Jens and Nilas both make their way back to the Windbreak at about the same time. Seeing each other, they sidle up to the bar, filling the only two open seats in the place. Maricia, the proprietor, is busy slinging drinks and serving platters of hearty smelling food. It appears that the dinner crowd shows up in Piper’s Quay.


Nilas notices Jens arriving at the Inn with him once again. This time he smiles, the familiar face helps offset his demeanor from finding the Shrine to Calla vacant.    


“Ahoy Captain” Nilas chuckles a bit at that thought. “Great Captains are made in rough storms and tough seas,” Nilas adds. “I was not able to find Callast Zale, he must be out at sea. I can probably go back and tend the shrine until he returns and I may actually stay the night there, but the place is in rough shape.”


Nilas enters the Windbreak Inn and looks for an open table, and finds one with a few seats at it. It appears that he and Jens Marko arrived at a good time as the dinner crowd is just starting to filter in. “Join me for a meal and let us catch up more formally with each other now my friend.” 

 

Jens nods and follows Nilas in. “I took care of my business with Fearghas. I gotta say, his brother got all of Fearghas’ nice when they were born. And, he had nothing to tell me of any strangers that might fit those who Ragnar is looking for.”


He flags down Maricia and gestures for drinks for himself and Nilas. Maybe a bowl of the stew in a bit. He looks around the room. Mostly locals he recognizes by face, if not name. When Maricia shows up with a couple of mugs, he takes a breath, but she stops him. “I know, I know. ‘Is there anyone who needs passage somewhere, Maricia?’ She grins. “You ask that every time. Now that I know you’re in port, I will listen, and send them your way. Okay?” Jens shyly nods, annoyed with himself for his predictability.


He takes a drink. “So, you’re here for a while?” Jens can be very unsubtle at times.


Nilas thanks Jens for the drink. “Thank Enibria…” he toasts. While Nilas is a Callast, a Priest of Calla, everyone still gives homage to Enibria.      


Nilas nods his head, “Aye Jens, it sure seems that way. My superior, Callast Xern from Gawl Hole sent me here to convey a message to his friend, Callast Zale. This is my first time out of Gawl Hole since the wreck of the Drague.” Nilas takes a long drought from his beverage in front of him and exhales a breath before speaking on.


“I lost my family and so many more in that vrag. Mother, Father, and of course my older brother Søren. I don’t really know how it all happened, other than we got caught in a very bad storm and hit something that wasn’t supposed to be there. Everyone was lost. Somehow I ended up on a piece of driftwood from the Drague and Callast Xern found me. He healed me and cared for me. Eventually I just accepted it as my new home. He took me in and helped me focus my anger and rage more into the tempest of the storm and guide me into the teachings of Calla.”


Nilas pauses for a moment, reflecting upon his words. “I have accepted that my family was called back to the sea by Calla, but I am still not totally at peace with it. I hope that by serving Calla I will either find my answers or carry out her will, since somehow I was spared from the same fate as the others. I don’t really have a plan of action after this mission to meet with Callast Zale, thinking that he may have some plan or mission for me next. So until then, I am just accepting that Calla is guiding me at her whim, much like the way the tempest blows across the seas by the wind and tides.”


Looking up at Jens again, with a smile, Nilas adds, “Seeing as how the current has brought me with you, I can only guess that it was by Calla’s will that we once again have crossed paths. I wonder if my brother’s spirit had something to do with this?”


Nilas notices now that both of their tankards are empty and summons the barkeep for a refill.  “The next round is on me….”


Maricia, the Sea Elf proprietor of the Windbreak Inn comes over and refills their tankards with another round of Gallowale. “You fellows ready for some dinner? Got deep fried mussels or fish chowder if you’re not too hungry, or serving up halibut and bread platters. Got some boiled turnips and cabbage if ya listen to yer Ma and always eat yer vegetables! Course, I can get you a platter of fried capelin, they’re kind of our specialty. There’s also the warm smoked capelin over there by the fire,” she says, pointing to a large tray sitting near the flame. A dwindling pile of small, silver fish sit on the tray. Random patrons can be seen grabbing these snacks off the tray and chomping into them heartily. “Just let me know when yer ready!” She says as she distractedly heads off to wait on some other customers.

While deciding on what to eat, Jens and Nilas continue chatting and listening to the conversations going on around them as the sun outside begins its quick descent to the western horizon. At a nearby table, Nilas and Jens overhear a woman with a tattoo of a compass rose on her neck claiming that a local diver has discovered a secret underwater cave filled with treasure but is keeping it a secret to avoid sharing the wealth. She wants to assemble a team to find the cave and claim the treasure for themselves. The two men she is talking to laugh at her dismissively and go back to their cups.


Nilas nods his head at Maricia in thanks. He looks over at the tattooed woman and back to Jens. “Sounds like there is someone over there who may need a ship for passage. I don’t know what I plan to do yet, except maybe clean up the Shrine to Calla and kill time waiting for Callast Zale to return. I honestly was just planning on helping Ragnar find his father’s killers in the meanwhile. Perhaps I should at least ask around and find out if anyone knows what kind of person Callast Zale is, so I know what to expect when I see him next.”


Nilas then looks around and then decides to start with the tattooed woman. He approaches her and lightly bows politely. “Greetings my good lady. I heard something that you said, and I was wondering whom the local diver was that you spoke of. I am trying to locate some friends around here.”


“Ahh, you know Liam? He’s a good kid, but stupid and going to get himself killed if he tries cashing in on his find without help,” she says, smiling wickedly. “You’re not from around here, Callast, are ya? Piper’s Quay already has a good enough Callast. Old Zale is his name. He’s good enough, I’d reckon. Where you in from?” She looks past Nilas and courteously nods to Jens. “You two lookin’ to find some sunken treasure?”


Nilas looks at the woman, seeing her boisterous claims and by her posture, he takes in that she may be slightly intoxicated. But such is the way around the Bay. He shakes his head affirmatively and adds, “Aye my lady, Callast Nilas at your service.” Nilas bows gently.  


“I’m actually here to meet with Callast Zale, and am awaiting  his return. Originally I hail from Dove’s Crest. This is my first time here in Piper’s Quay.” Nilas smiles, and then looks around the tavern first. “I don’t know anything about sunken treasure, but I will gladly provide you with a fresh drink if you wouldn’t mind sharing some of your stories with me and sore lore about the area?”  


“Aye, join us! We’re at loose ends for the moment. And nothing helps pass the time like a good tale. And sunken treasure? Just makes it even better.” He takes a deep pull on his mug. Let’s get this party started!


Nilas smiles. He is just at this time trying to look for any kind of information about the area, but rumors are also a good source for fun and adventure. Maricia arrives with a fresh round of drinks and drops off some of the smoked capelin for the trio to munch on. Nilas pulls out a seat for the lady, indicating for her to join them. She sits and he leads on for more information. “As you said, I am new to the area and could use a friendly guide and a friend, besides Captain Jens here”. Nilas points towards Jens Marko. “So what lore can you share with us this fine evening my lady?”


“Lore? About Piper’s Quay? Ahh, I thought ye were looking fer sunken treasure, but that’s Liam’s story anyway, I just heard he knew where some was. So Piper’s Quay, I’m not from here, but I ‘pose I know some bit about it. I do port here frequent enough. Fisher and trader myself, I get around the Middle and Outer Bay myself most o’the time. But The Quay, its the domain of the Sinann Clan, under Laird Erskine at the present. The Sinanns be one of the founding Clans o’the Bay and for that they hold a permanent place at the Baron’s Court in Hawkstone. Good fishing, one of the best spots in the Bay, truth be told, and they got some first-class boat, line, and sail crafters here, the Quilkin brothers. Being on the southern side o’the Bay makes it a bit of a stopping point for ships coming in and out o’the South as well, though, The Quay keeps small, probably due to no real roads going in and out of town. There ain’t no Abbey here, an the only local clergy be Callast Zale I believe, though I did hear ‘bout that young Enibrian Druid, shipwrecked a bit ago. Carmel was her name, I think. She’s been helping out round here in the Windbreak, doing odd jobs, til she’s back on her feet. I ain’t seen her today, but I assume she’s around.” The woman stops and drains her nearly full mug of ale, giving a raised eyebrow look at Nilast followed by a slim smile. 


After Nilast refills her mug, she continues, “Where was I? Well, the Quay, yea, place is pretty nice, run by the Sinanns, though Laird Erskine, he usually ain’t here. Spends most of the time out in Hawkstone rubbin’ elbows with the Baron and all the other Wellborn, I’d reckon. His oldest boy, Taber, he pretty much run the Quay, though e’rybody knows that he always favored his oldest, the girl Sabeen, to follow in his footsteps runnin’ the Fief, but she’s something of a Wizard, they say. Studied in the Archives of Chronos up in Hawkstone an’ e’rything. I ain’t met her, seen her maybe once or twice, they say she’s nice enough, a bit aloof an’ always gots her nose stuck in some old, dusty tome or somethin’ like it.” She pauses for a moment and laughs, “Ya know, Laird Erskine gots 11 offspring? 11 of ‘em! Course he had three wives an’ all, but shoo’ee, 11 of em. They’re all grown and such, but still. Them youngest ones, the Twins, they’ll be the death of the old Laird one’a these days, mark my words. They are ALWAYS into something, it seems.”


“But lets see, you probably don’ wanna know about all that history and politics stuff, yer looking for adventure. Well the Uplands, that’s the place to go. There’s ruins and caves and tombs of the Old Ones and all that. I recently heard somethin bout them Lost Gnomish Mines somewhere up there. Or you could tack down the coast a few miles ta Wyrm Cove. Used ta be the nesting spot for Wyrms and Sea Drakes, but ya don’t see any o’them anymore, though Wyverns and Griffons and Harpies an’ such are most for sure sighted from time to time. They say Pirates and Wreckers like to hide out there, probably burying treasure and loot and what not. Just be careful, there’s some rugged rocks and sea stacks down that way, and that blasted fog just never seems to clear.”


Jens nods as she tells the tale of Wyrm Cove. Though he has sailed past the place, he’s always been smart to avoid sailing too close to it. Its reputation for a dangerous stretch of coastline, for numerous reasons, seems to be agreed upon by all the ply the waters of the Bay.


“Oh yea, an’ if you be heading back out into the Outer Bay, I heard from a few other ships that there’s been sighted a huge serpent of some kind. From most accounts, they say it’s well over a hundred feet long. It ain’t been aggressive, and I ain’t seen it myself, now, but one sailor told me it surfaced near his ship coming from Windward to Therys, about due west of here, said the thing was surfacing nearby and bumped into his ship, totally turned the ship, a 2-mast-er an all, just turned it round facing the other way. No significant damage, but the thing was so big, it just turned this ship around by bumping it. So just watch out for that one, right?”


Nilas takes in all that the seafaring woman has to offer. He shows interest and hangs on her every word. As he offers to refill her mug once more, he does inquire a bit more.  


“That’s quite a bit to take in my lady. Thank you very much. Though now I have to admit, you did peak my interest about the sunken treasure and Liam’s tale. I would like to hear more about that, after all, you have such a great way of telling a tale.”


“Aye, like I said, that be Liam’s story. I don’t know nothing beyond that he has found some treasure. I am wanting to get a crew together then convince him of telling me the details so’s I can go and claim the treasure. I’d cut him in, finder’s fee, of course, if that be necessary. So, you intereseted in forming a partnership and goin’ ta find some sunken treasure, Callast?” she asks.


Nilas considers the woman’s proposal. The thought of sunken treasure ignites the child inside of him. He hasn’t known much other than the beginning life of a sailor and then the past several years working in the small town of Gawl Hole with Callst Xern. Considering that he has to wait until Callast Zale returns, for at least a week leaves Nilas with time to spare. Though he would never consider going on such a venture by himself. The woman seems sure of herself and knows the area well.  

Nilas looks at Jens Marko, then back to the woman. “I admit I am very curious about it. I have some time to spare, and no immediate plans. If my friend Jens is up for the adventure, then I will as well. I also think Jens here may know of some other folks we can round up to join us for a crew”.


Jens sips his drink, thinking. “So, you want to form some sort of cohort or business venture? One to check out this cove and treasure hunt? I suppose the ‘wake and I could be persuaded. Could we maybe track down this Liam fellow first? Get it from the river’s source.” Jens isn’t trying to be difficult, but he doesn’t know this gal at all.


“Fer sure, Liam's the one what knows where this treasure is, I sure don't, otherwise I'd'a already gone a looking fer it. But hey, let's do this. He should be down at the docks sorting his catch for the day," the woman suggests. She tosses back the remainder of her drink and stands up quickly.  She is tall and lean, almost attractive, and she carries herself with confidence and grace. 


As she turns for the door, the Innkeeper, Maricia, casually moves to interpose herself between her and the door. "Heading out, Mattie?" she says, rubbing two fingers together. She flashes a look at Nilas and Jens as well. "Yer at, ahh, let's say 4 Marks, Mattie. Callast, you owe 2 and 1 for you, Capitan Jens."


Mattie, the woman with the compass tattoo and dreams of sunken treasure, lets out a sigh and shrugs, turning to Nilas. "Uhh, well, could ya cover me four Marks, take it outta my share of the haul, mebbe?" she begs. 


Nilas looks at Mattie for a minute and then sneers at her. He sees Mattie shift nervously a bit, a chink in the armor of her false bravado. Still, Nilas is intrigued by the chance of adventure and to reconnect with Jens, his older brother’s former best friend. Jen’s seems to know other people around, and Nilas has to wait at least a week until Callast Zale returns. He figures it is by Callas' will and the way of the tides that this opportunity has come to hom. “Aye Mattie,, I’ll cover your four Marks, but it shall come out of your share, that’s fair enough. Lead us on to Liam and let’s find out more about this treasure.”


Maricia takes her owed silver coins and Nilas and Jens follow Mattie back toward the docks, though not in the same general area that the Kittiwake is moored. She makes her way through all the stowed fishing and boating gear and veers off to the right, down toward a stretch of shoreline with no docks or jetties, just a handful of boats pulled right up onto the sand. Nets and tarps and barrels and crates fill this area between numerous fishermen and crabbers all unloading and sorting their daily catch. 


She looks around and speaks to a few of the locals for a few minutes then turns and says, “Looks like he didn’t come back in today, he’s still out, or maybe beached somewhere else for the night. We’ll have to come back and find him tomorrow. Where can I find you? I’m shacking down in Ewell’s boarding house, down yonder,” she points down along the shoreline to the other “end” of Piper’s Quay.   


Nilas looks at Jens and makes a slight frown. Something doesn’t bode well at the moment. Turning to Jens, Nilas says, “Jens, you said that you were staying on the Kittiwake tonight, correct?” Jens nods in approval, pointing back with his thumb as to where his vessel is currently moored. Nilas then speaks up, “I was thinking that Jens and I may try to track down his other friends, to see if we can build a ‘crew’ but I was planning on returning to and staying at the Shrine to Calla and work on cleaning it up a bit. At least it is free lodging for me for the evening.”


Mattie nods, “Oye, yaa, that sounds good, I can look round for Liam a bit more, and come find ya in the morning,” she says. Then a bit quieter to Nilas, though Jens clearly hears it, “Unless ya want me to come find ya tonight, that is.”


Nilas blushes at Mattie’s comment, and has no clue how to reply. He stumbles off like an embarrassed child and actually trips and bumps his head into one of the pillars on the dock. He then looks back to her and Jens and says, “Good night, go with Calla.” Nilas wanders off then, shocked and confused with how to interact with an older woman.  


Session Notes

A short PbP Continuing Story session featuring two of the characters in our new campaign. They were just getting a feel for the locals and maybe finding out some interesting news.


Cast of Characters:

Jens Marko, a young Captain sailing his dory all over the bay - played by Arne J
Callast Nilas Orkan, a young priest of Calla the Storm Goddess - played by Mike B

and GMJasonGURPS as the DM








No comments:

Post a Comment